Monday, February 7, 2011

Grassac and the Monclin's

These were probably some of my happiest days during my two years I spent in France back in '73 and '74. We were sent out to teach Anne Monclin who had an interest in the Church. She lived on a farm in a small town called Grassac. It was about 25 klicks outside of Angouleme. To get there, we would ride our velo-moteurs (motorbike with a 50cc engine and pedals to start it and get you up steep hills) out through the countryside and through the woods. The woods were full of wild pigs and we were always afraid we were going to run into one when we came home after dark. Arriving at the farm, you would turn off the main road and follow a narrow dirt road for about 1/4 mile after which you would pass through a canopy of trees which eventually opened up to the farm. It was always as if though you had entered a different world. Anne was already 90% Mormon in the beliefs that she already had. She and her husband, Michel, lived in pretty humble circumstances but they seemed to live a happy life. We went out to the farm usually several times a week. Sometimes we sat and talked and sometimes we rolled up our sleeves and helped Michel on the farm putting in fences and other things. They raised sheep as the main product on the farm. I do have to say that sheep have to be one of the dumbest animals I've ever dealt with. Anne raised rabbits and ducks to supplement their income. I remember she had one white rabbit that I could tell apart from all of the other white rabbits. Frequently, before we arrived, she would put that rabbit in a different cage to try and fool me but I always found that particular rabbit. She only knew where it was by the number of the cage and she was always amazed that I could pick one particular white rabbit out amongst all the others. Mylord, their dog, was always chasing us and getting into trouble. There were also goats that would follow me around like I was their mother or something. One summer, the branch came out on St Jean's day (21st of June, longest day of the year) to celebrate the beginning of summer. We built one humongous bonfire and had a nice soiree together. Often Anne would feed us and the fare was always very simple. I think it was the back to nature and simple life that I enjoyed so much as well as the company of the Monclins. I learned a lot about life out there on the farm surrounded by woods.

Anne joined the church and was a faithful member all her life. Michel never joined but he would always bring her into town, drop her off at the branch and then go to mass at the Catholic church. Anne's son, Brice, also joined the church and married another member of the church. Their children have gone on to serve missions and bring up their children in the church. Today, to the best of my knowledge because I haven't heard otherwise, Anne is in a rest home where she suffers from Alzheimer's. Evidently she doesn't know anyone any more. I will always remember her and Michel and count them as some of most favorite people in the whole world along with the rest of the family.

Life has a funny way of throwing things at you. Here, only six hours after writing this entry, I received word from a friend that Anne passed away today. I'm glad I took the time to remember and write about her this morning.

No comments: