Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Grandfather Hoey - Papaw

Today, I think I'll write about someone who has already passed on so as not to jinx them.

I was just six years old when my maternal grandfather passed away. It's been so long and I was just at the edge of when I began to remember things but I have a few memories of him.

My grandparents lived in Bogalusa, Louisiana. This also happens to be the place where I was born. Papaw (the firs "a" sounds like the "a" in "at") worked at the local paper mill. It seems that we went frequently to visit them. What I remember most was that he would take me for a ride on his motorcycle where we would end up at a service station. Not because he was out of gas or broke down but to go to the soda-pop machine and get a Dr. Pepper. That is about the extent of my memories of him, in particular, other than when he died back in 1959. I just remember a somberness around the house. He had Parkinson's disease and his hand shook all the time. He went to Houston to have brain surgery where they were supposed to just kill a small portion of his brain that controlled the shaking. Evidently, they went too far and he never came out of the surgery. There were law suits that went on for years but finally ended up being settled out of court. There are times when I wish he could have stuck around longer. There are so many things I would like to ask him.
Robert Wesley Hoey 1906-1959

No comments: